We have had a few questions from parents, staff, and students on our wind chill policy/ practice at our school. It is as follows:
Wind Chill Safety Practice at CPES:
- When the windchill or temperature falls to -30 C, school administration will advise school staff to keep students inside, during recess and noon hour breaks, as well as before school.
- We also communicate with families, to remind them, that there is an expectation they send their child(ren) to school in appropriate winter clothing. Our school will try to supply winter clothing for children if families are unable to provide it for recess use.
- After a number of indoor recesses, however, the decision may be made by school administration for the students to have a short playtime outside – 10 min. from notification. This allows for children to dress for outdoor play and by the time they reach the playground, they have approximately 5 minutes to get some fresh air. This may take place when the temperature/ wind chill is -30 to -32.
- All students and staff need to be dressed for outdoor play every day during winter weather, as the weather conditions can change throughout the day. We may be in for one recess, the wind goes down, and we can go out for the next.
- The Weather Network is our North East School Division weather information source.
Our safety practice was established when our school opened, in August, 2005. I was then reviewed and reinstated with Mrs. Pierlot and the School Community Council in 2010.