What is Home-Based Education?
A home-based education program is a program based from home directed by the parent(s) for their own children between the ages of 5 and 17 years of age. The Ministry of Saskatchewan's Home-Based Education: Policy and Procedures Manual is available to assist parents with fulfilling their legal responsibilities in regard to the registration and operation of home-based education programs.
When to register
Parents residing within the North East School Division boundaries who choose to provide a Home-based Education Program for their children must register with the North East School Division before beginning their program.
Home school registrations will be accepted all year.
To receive financial reimbursement the student must be registered between August 15 – September 20 of each year.
How to Register
Parents must complete the following two documents: (** each student will need a separate education plan)
and submit to: North East School Division, Box 6000, Melfort, SK S0E 1A0 Attention: Triki Zenner
or you may scan/email both documents to: Triki Zenner - HomeSchool@nesd.ca
How to write an Educational Plan
The purpose of the written educational plan is for parents to demonstrate that they have a positive and constructive approach to the education of their children before beginning their home-based education program.
If you require assistance, our Home-Based Education Monitor, Perry Mamer, is available to provide educational consultation to home-based educators as you prepare your written education plan.
A written education plan is required for each student in your family.
DEADLINE - June 15 or the next business day.
Each homeschool student is required to submit a year-end report to finalize that school year.
Annual Report Template - from Saskatchewan Home-Based Educators
Summarizing student progress and providing samples of student work is required at the end of the academic year as part of the partnership between the North East School Division and families who choose to provide Home based Education. This expectation is outlined in the Ministry of Education documents.
- Payment of year-end funds will be issued no later than August 15.(if student was registered prior to September 15)
- The following should be submitted to the division office as a year-end report:
- A report of progress in each area of study along with any test results.
- The periodic log that records educational experiences completed by the home-based learner.
- Minimal samples of student work from each area of study, one from the beginning of the year and one from near the end. The intent of these samples is to show growth in learning.
- when possible all documents should be in a PDF format, with clear pictures of work samples. (we prefer pdf format versus paper documents)
* Please ensure any student work submitted is a copy only. We keep files at the office for our records. The submissions will not be returned.
Curriculum and Resources
Reimbursement for Educational Materials
If your Home-Based Education Program for the school year was registered with North East School Division by September 30, you are eligible for financial reimbursement for educational materials.
Online School (students in grades 10-12)
Students are ineligible for financial reimbursement if your student is in grade 10-12 and enrolled in the North East School Division ONLINE SCHOOL, or in another school division's online classes.
For information and registration contact Perry Mamer, Home-Based Education Monitor at 306-401-7828 or Triki Zenner at 306-752-5741.